Tuesday, August 25, 2009

18 Week Ultrasound

Last Friday, Randy and I went in for Baby Biggs' 18 week ultrasound. The baby looked perfect, measuring right on track, kicking up a storm, and sucking its little thumb. Reminded us of watching Jack via ultrasound 3 years ago! The only issues the tech noticed were that the placenta is covering up my cervix and the baby is breech. As for the placenta, this condition is known as placenta previa and is fairly common early in pregnancy. If it persists, it can cause a dangerous amount of bleeding, especially when the mother goes into labor, so typically a C-Section will be scheduled several weeks before the due date to avoid this. Luckily though, the previa usually corrects itself throughout the pregnancy and so is nothing to worry about yet. I'll have another ultrasound at 28 weeks to determine whether this was the case. As for the baby being breech, there is still plenty of time for the little stinker to get into position!

As for finding out the gender...we decided to wait for the surprise!! I never would have guessed I could have the patience to wait for this kind of news, but I've been told its just the most magical moment to find out when the baby is born. Kind of like waiting until Christmas Day to open your presents!

Here is a recent pic of my belly, taken at 18 weeks, 2 days.

No comments: