This past weekend, the Vaughn side of the family gathered at my parents' lake house for a fun getaway. This is the second or third year we've all gotten together at Grand Lake and was even more fun and more chaotic than ever! Each year we add a few babies to the picture and this year was no exception. We had Claire and Jacob for the first time, not to mention the other kids have grown up so it is one loud house when everyone is there. Of course, that's what makes it fun. That and boating, tubing, skiing, swimming, golfing, croqueting, bocce balling, golf cart riding, eating, eating, and more eating. We managed to fit all of these things in before the sun set and even managed a mid day nap each day for the kids and some adults. :) After the sun set, it was more bocce ball and card/board games. I just loved being with everyone and apparently my kids did as well. Graham commented on Sunday that he was "really, really sad" because he was leaving the lake house and Jack has mentioned numerous times that he would like to live there permanently.
Moments from our trip that stood out above the rest:
- Graham's injuries, including one severe knock to the head that scared the living daylights out of everyone within earshot. We were sure he had cracked it open or that he had a concussion but of course my hard headed guy cried for only about two minutes before declaring, face still covered in tears, that he was "all better!" and subsequently summoning Cody to begin running/wrestling again.
- Jack tubing. Jack is not my daredevil child so all things that can be done behind the boat scare him a bit, but he did get out there on the tube this weekend with Aunt Hayley and I am SO proud of him!!
- Playing Garbage with Mumo, Hayley, Nick, Randy, and Nancy. Mumo taught us to play this game when we were little and it is always a hit. I was so happy to spend time with her and play our favorite game. How Nick managed to win is beyond me though! :)
- Cody tubing. That kid is very resilient and brave and I'm surprised he still has both arms!
- Charlie and Graham sharing. Both boys really love Lightning McQueen and it was so sweet to watch them playing so nicely in the pool and taking turns with their "favorite taracter!"
- The kids spotting a dolphin in the lake, a parrot outside, and a monkey in a tree. I can't say that I saw these things myself...
- Playing Catch Phrase with Mumo, Papo, Mom, Dad, Judy, Nancy, Randy, Collin, Cody, Hayley, and Nick. There was definitely some hilariousness happening.
Can't wait for next year! We'll definitely be adding two babies and hopefully Daniel, Adrienne, and Brooklyn will join us as well!
Update with more pictures: