Thursday, June 23, 2011

17 Months and 1 Day

Okay, so I'm a day late with Graham's monthly update. That's not too bad, right? I feel like I want to say, "I can't believe Graham's already 17 months old!" but I pretty much lead off with that same statement every month. Well, it's true! I can never quite believe it because it's true what they say, your babies grow up so fast. And it's amazing how quickly you start to forget the horrors of pregnancy and the newborn stage as soon as you fall into a great routine and things start to feel "normal" and functional again. It took me a bit longer this time around (Graham's pregnancy and birth were slightly traumatic for me), but (can't believe I'm actually going to put this in print) I think we might want another baby! Now don't go crazy, we're not ready yet, but it's starting to seem possible to have three children and even desirable. Of course, it helps that Graham is so cute and wonderful. So... back to Graham!

Graham's personality continues to be one of intensity. He is very outgoing and, well...loud. Everything he does, he does with force. Even his affection. Sometimes he goes to kiss me and grabs my hair too hard or almost even bites me. We are working on gentleness. The good side of that is that he is just full of energy and zest for life! He laughs hard and often. He is friendly and always says "hi" and "bye" to everyone. We turn heads in restaurants as we leave because Graham literally waves and says "buh-bye!" to every person we pass.

The boys have taken to wrestling with each other. This is funny to watch. However, it usually ends quickly as Jack is scared of Graham and usually stops and asks us to pull Graham off of him. Even though he's the one that started it!

Graham is talking more and more each day. He calls for me when he doesn't see me, "Maaaamaaaa!" He has learned to ask for more food by saying, "more" and not whining. He really likes the word no although I'm not sure he fully understands what it means.

He's also learned how to nod, which is very cute. I'll ask him, "Graham, did you have fun at church today?" and instead of an answer I get an enthusiastic head nod.

We are finally giving up the bottle! I wanted to do this at 12 months but he was very attached (still is, but it was time). The funny thing is that he REFUSES (like adamantly refuses) to drink milk from a cup. He'll drink water from a cup. He'll drink juice from a cup. He'll drink milk from a bottle. His reaction to milk in a cup? He sputters, gags, and chokes, until he spits it all out of his mouth, then pushes the cup away forcefully. Um, stubborn much?! It is really quite ridiculous. So now I offer him the milk in the cup and if he refuses he simply gets no milk. This is hard for me because I think he needs some milk in his diet and he isn't getting it, but I refuse to have a two year old who takes a bottle. Next up...binky!

Graham's favorite thing continues to be playing outside. He likes to drive the little car around, play at the water table, go to the park and slide, go to BB's and swim, go on walks, etc. His new favorite book is Pat the Bunny and of course Goodnight Moon. He is still attached to his blankie. He has also discovered basketball and that has become a new favorite activity. He loves playing ring around the rosy with Jack and me, especially the part where we all fall down.

And last but not least, he loves posing for the camera and saying, "TEEEEEEESE!!"




No comments: