Wednesday, November 22, 2006

June 7, 2006

This is the day that I found out I was pregnant. I have to say that I was sort of in shock considering Randy and I had recently had some long discussions about starting a family. We both were dying to have kids but finally made the practical decision to start trying in May of 2007 when Randy would be finished with school and we would have the possibility of earning some actual money. So when I found out I was pregnant two weeks later, I was (very pleasantly) surprised. God doesn't always follow our timeline and I trust that his plan is better than ours anyway.

I actually told my mom and my grandma that same day, because they happened to be visiting me and we were working on decorating my house. I couldn't keep it to myself so I told them and made them promise not to tell Dad and Papo. That was nearly impossible for my mom of course, but she did it and we headed home a couple of weeks later to tell the men of the family. I think my dad was the most shocked of all. We didn't tell him we were coming. We tied some pink and blue balloons to a little book about the joy of being a grandparent, left it on the doorstep, rang the bell, and hid behind the bushes. My dad came out and picked it up, looking very confused. He eventually concluded that it was at the wrong house and how was he going to figure out where it was supposed to go? That's when Randy and I popped out of the bushes. My dad again looked very confused but still did not make the connection. He just asked, "What are you doing here?.................ohhhhhhhhh!" He finally comprehended what was going on- it was so funny!

I told my grandpa by leaving a little note in his birthday card the next day. I think he may have been the happiest of everyone to find out the news. He had actually heard that I wasn't feeling well and had wondered if I was pregnant even before I knew that I was. When he saw me, he kept asking how I was feeling and what was "new." I said fine and nothing and he seemed a little disappointed that there was no news. Then, when he read his card, he teared up and I could tell how genuinely happy he was to find out that he is going to be a great grandpa.

I am very happy to be able to honor both my father and my grandfather with my son's name. His name is going to be Jack Patrick Biggs, after two of the most important men in my life. We can't wait to see what God has in store for Jack and for our family!

No comments: