Jack's day started out with a birthday cinnamon roll with a candle in it and a serenade of "Happy Birthday." He also had a single green balloon as requested. :) He was so pleased to be the center of attention and it was nice that it was Saturday so we could all be together as a family. He opened one last present from us, Mario Kart for Wii and was ecstatic about that! Then we headed to his basketball game where he played wonderfully, getting several rebounds, dribbling well down the court, and taking a few shots at the goal. Afterward, BB and Grandad stopped by our house to give him a gift. He loved the Toy Story book narrated by them! After that, Jack got to play some Wii with Daddy and Graham until lunchtime. He chose Poblano Grill for lunch and we all had a great meal together. Finally, in the afternoon, Jack and I went to his friend Rhett's birthday party at a karate place. He had a great time with his friends! And lastly, before bed, he sat down with Randy to read "Peter and Wendy" (which we decided would be a good read for a boy who didn't want to grow up:)) I think reading with Daddy in the evenings is one of Jack's favorite things so this was a great way to end his birthday.
Some facts/milestones for Jack at age 6:
- He is reading well!! He brings home books from school and can usually read them with no assistance from us at all. I am amazed with his improvement over these last few months of school. He is also reading his sight words very easily and adds new ones each week.
- His favorite color is still green!
- He continues to be extremely outgoing and has lots of friends. Austin is still his best friend even though they don't go to school together anymore. They share a great bond and I wouldn't be surprised if they were lifelong friends. His best friend at school is Jacob, although he also enjoys playing with Luke, Braeden, and Maddox.
- Small group is one of his favorite things. The other kids there are truly like family to us. He treats Wes just like another one of his baby brothers and he just loves playing with all the girls!
- He likes playing Star Wars games and is always asking Randy questions like, "Who is the meanest person in Star Wars?" and follow up questions about the Emperor and other "mean" characters.
- He loves to go to Chick-fil-a and always makes a new friend or two when we're there.
- He is in love with his baby Reid and although he says Graham is his best friend, he is starting to realize that sometimes little brothers get on your nerves. He says things like, "I want Reid to stay a baby forever!"
- He LOVES going to the school store and is always extremely excited to show me what he bought- usually a pencil or an eraser.
- He loves riding his bike and has gotten really fast and in control without the training wheels.
- He still loves math and likes to ask questions like, "what is the biggest number?" and "what comes after a septillion?"
Overall, Jack's personality hasn't changed much since he turned five. He is incredibly smart and also very tenderhearted. He has become such a great helper for me at home and is a very good leader and example for his brothers. I know God has gifted him with the qualities he needs to lead and help take care of his baby brothers. We are so blessed by Jack and love being his parents!