Saturday, March 10, 2012

Jack's Five Year Checkup

A couple of weeks ago, I took Jack to visit Dr. Garrison for his five year well visit. Most everything looked great! Jack continues to be in the 90% for height, measuring 45 inches tall. He weighed in at 48 lbs. which is also around the 90%. He impressed Dr. G with his counting skills as well as his monkey drawing skills. The fact that the monkey had ears and arms apparently demonstrated that his brain is progressing right on track. Who knew? His overall health is good, although we continue to deal with allergies/asthma this time of year so we're working on finding the right treatment for that.

The last test to be performed was the eye exam. I fully expected that Jack would need glasses at some point as he takes after me and I have horrible eyesight. However, I thought we would have more time as I got my first pair of glasses in third grade. Well, I was wrong. He failed the eye test miserably. We followed up with this by taking him to the eye doctor yesterday, where he actually presented worse than we even thought. His is far sighted with astigmatism which is odd considering my entire family is near sighted and Randy's eyesight is good. He demonstrated 20/80 in both eyes and will definitely need to wear glasses full time. We're a little shocked and disappointed that he has to deal with this so early, but of course glasses really aren't the end of the world. He's actually pretty stoked about it. I'm mainly concerned that we'll be paying for about 20 pairs a year due to them being lost and/or broken by him or Graham!! Anyway, next time you see Jack, he'll be looking handsome and studious sporting his new lenses! Can't believe he's been functioning at this level of eyesight so I'm excited for him to be able to see the difference!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Aw - I say get 3 pair to start that way you'll have 2 backups :) He'll be so cute with his glasses!